Wednesday, October 7, 2015

A Prescription for Preventing Overdose Deaths

I've been openly critical of the American Medical Association's approach to the opioid epidemic. I've labeled it "necessary, but insufficient" - meaning that the initial recommendation of the AMA's Opioid Abuse Task Force was to encourage physicians to register and use their state's prescription drug monitoring program (PDMP).

Politically safe.  Glaringly obvious.

In response to that blog post, several physicians reached out to me to express their frustration with the AMA.  One of PRIUM's physician consultants pointed out that AMA membership now represents a mere 15% of practicing physicians in the US.  I checked that stat and she's right.  AMA membership has been steadily declining since the 1950s, when nearly 75% of physicians belonged to the group. I'm beginning to understand why (though I'll admit the AMA's support for the Affordable Care Act and the rise of specialty physician associations has certainly contributed).

I did award points for the AMA's willingness to join the discussion and offer solutions.  I expressed hope that this was just the start and that we would see further, more aggressive measures among the future recommendations that the task force promised it would be making.

This week, the AMA Task Force has offered the next step: "With the United States in the midst of an opioid misuse, overdose, and death epidemic [emphasis added], the AMA Task Force to Reduce Opioid Abuse strongly encourages widespread access to naloxone as well as broad Good Samaritan protections to those who aid someone experiencing an overdose."

Politically safe.  Glaringly obvious.

We should all be advocating for increased access to naloxone, though I've focused my advocacy on providing the overdose antidote to first responders and care givers in high risk populations.  The concept of co-prescribing and physician standing orders (every script for an opioid comes with a script for naloxone) troubles me.  The AMA statement encourages doctors to ask the following questions when considering co-prescribing naloxone:

  • Is my patient on a high opioid dose?
  • Is my patient also on a benzodiazepine?  
  • Does my patient have a history of substance use disorder? 
  • Is there an underlying mental health condition?  
  • Does the patient have a co-morbid respiratory disease?
  • Might my patient be in a position to help someone who is at risk of overdose?
With the exception of that last question, this should represent the list of questions doctors ask themselves to determine whether they should continue to prescribe opioids at all (vs. considering whether to prescribe another drug to counteract the potentially disastrous side effects of the current medication regimen that is so obviously dangerous, the risk of overdose appears imminent).  

This latest set of necessary, helpful, but totally insufficient recommendations from the AMA helped me to recognize what I think is the fundamental issue with their approach: These recommendations are focused on how to deal with risks after the drugs are prescribed and dispensed.

So here's my challenge to the AMA: What can we do before the drugs are dispensed?  

Michael 
On Twitter @PRIUM1

No comments:

Post a Comment